German-born Bernard Becker, architect, lived at 841 West Woodruff, according to the 1910 Polk City Directory. His office was located at 419 Gardner Building. He was a member of the American Institute of Architects from 1916 until his death in 1930. He was once an associate of architect Edward Fallis.
Mr. Becker was born in March of 1852 and married in 1885. His wife was Ohio-born Louise Becker. The 1900 Census listed son Karl H. Becker and daughter Mertle A. Becker as living with their parents.
According to an article in the Toledo Bee on September 29, 1902, a commiteee accepted the plans drawn by Bernard Becker for a new Elks Temple. Located at 433-35 Michigan Street, it was constructed in 1905 and demolished in 1986.
2367-2405 Scottwood Avenue in Toledo's Old West End, known as the Tufford Arms, was designed by architect Becker and built in 1907. The French Ranaissance-style row houses, six in all, were all attached with arched entrance porches and terra cotta decorative detailing.
A May 4, 1908 newspaper article noted that Charles Barnes had contracted with Bernard Becker to draw up plans for at five-story brick residential building to be located on 23 rd. street between Madison and Jefferson avenues. There would be ten flats.